John Halcyon Styn has made a life of creativity and self-expression.
He shares his story in this interview, recorded from his home in San Diego. We cover how Burning Man influenced him, how he lived with webcams in his house for a few years, and how he started the Hug Nation and First Saturdays projects.
So let’s give it up for The One and Only, John Halcyon Styn.
Listen & Subscribe on iTunes, Soundcloud, or Stitcher
- Why he always wears pink
- How there are two sides to his personality and why he chose the name Halcyon
- About the beauty of flowing between personality states
- Our experiences with ecstatic dance
- What being real means to John
- Why authenticity is a lifelong path
- How he landed a show at NBC after living an alternative lifestyle
- Why he gave up his dream of being an artist in college and how he rekindled that flame
- How the Internet and Burning Man helped him decide to become an artist and creator again
- How the Internet allowed him to show more and more of his authentic self
- What the value of self expression really is
- Why we are here on this world to create
- How we don’t have to have a big audience in order to be creative
- Why he lived with 24/7 web cams in his house for two and a half years
- How he started Hug Nation and what it is
- About his project First Saturdays
- How he practices gratitude
- The mantra that John uses to make decisions
- How his grandfather affected him
- The Power of Now
- Loving What Is
- Naked Lunch
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
- Lunch with Grandpa video
- Connect with John Halcyon Styn:
- John once said “I tend to be very good at being in the moment. But much worse at remembering moments.” What do you think that is all about?
- Do you care what other people think about you and what is your relationship with rejection?
- What is your decision making code?
- If your grandfather was in front of you right now, what message would you relay to one another?
- Why were you put on this earth?
Question of The Week:
- Am I present, am I in alignment with what’s real to me, and am I acting from love?”
Exercise of The Week:
- Throw a theme party for your friends where everyone dresses up as their best-self or superhero-self.